VOLUNTERNSHIP AT OUDEBERG
Do you wish to experience running a Regenerative Farm based on Permaculture Principles?
Love Green Permaculture runs a Voluntership Program at Oudeberg Farm. This is an education and training program whereby the volunteer comes to the farm for a stipulated period of time to learn about permaculture and regenerative farming through practical experience. The volunteer will be integrated into the running and development of the farm as a team member experiencing whatever processes and projects that are running at the time of their visit. The work program will be supplemented by research, reading and multi-media learning, which they are required to do in after work in order to develop a good conceptual understanding of the work they are doing. If the volunteer shows competence in the range of activities involved in they will be certified as practically competent in the relevant fields. These skill and knowledge modules can be accumulated towards an applied permaculture certificate. There are no limits to the modules as permaculture is unlimited in its scope and is only bound by the laws of ecotropy and human ingenuity…
Volunteering at Oudeberg Permaculture Farm is a diverse experience in life and work on a busy commercial permaculture venture. We are only interested in people who have a sincere wish to learn about permaculture and work hard on the range of projects that we and our staff are currently running. The outdoor life is vigorous and lots of fun with the various projects on the cutting edge of permaculture design and implementation. Depending on the length of your stay you will initially work under supervision and as your competence, responsibility and experience with our systems grows you will be given more autonomy in your working days and hopefully be able to drive some of the projects we are running. Volunteers will be given a volunternship certificate at the end of your stay detailing activities you were competent in.
Our excellent volunteer and PDC graduate PJ brings more windfall apricots to feed to the pigs…
- Take responsibility for yourself and your possessions.
- No alcohol or meat on the farm.
- Dwellings will be kept neat and tidy at all times and messy living patterns are not accepted as you will be sharing space with other people.
- All tensions to be resolved peacefully via open communication.
- No shoes in any of the buildings
- No filter cigarettes on the farm, only roll your own tobacco.
- Smoking is only allowed outside and away from buildings.
- No dogs or any pets allowed.
- Respectful interaction with all people on the farm.
- No removing of vegetation, rocks, insects or animals on the farm.
- Be on time for all work and appointments.
- No GMO’s and highly processed foods allowed on the farm.
- No synthetic chemicals allowed on the farm, all toiletries and personal care products must be organic. If you do not have your own we will provide shampoo, body wash and will put your clothes through our washing machine once a week.
Farm accommodation in historical house & dorm complex
The farm Zone 1 gardens always have a variety of veges and the Zone 2 systems some fruit (season specific) and we provide some dried fruit and homemade condiments to volunteers. Like all natural systems, gardens and harvests are always in flux so what is coming out of the systems is what is available…
Who can volunteer?
You must be over the age of 21 years unless special testimonial is given by people known to us. You will need to have some working knowledge of permaculture and be prepared to work physically and you will have to be fit and in good health. We expect some previous experience in volunteering or work on farms or gardens. If you have special skills like building and construction, you will be placed into ongoing building and restoration program. We structure our working day so that work activities are appropriate to temperatures and time of day but please understand that given the climate context in the region, you will require an ability to operate outdoors for long periods, and often in hot weather.
Vegetarian Food Stuffs Provided
We provide healthy and mainly organic basic foods such as staple veges & fruit (potato, squash, onion, local fruits, etc), whatever veges and fruit are ready from the gardens, organic grains & pulses, sugar, tea, milk, butter, peanut butter, bread, eggs, seasoning, organic oats, homemade condiments, herbs from the gardens, salads from the gardens, olive oil.
Luxuries (coffee, dairy other than milk, special breads, tropical fruit, etc) and anything else you will have to provide yourself. There are regular trips into town and Montagu is a well stocked. There is a juicer in the kitchen and the gardens have plenty of leaf veges & beetroot for juicing.
What to Bring
The farm has a pool fed by crystal spring water for swimming, amazing hiking, and walking opportunities, it exists in a stunning natural location of hills, valleys and mountains, all covered in pristine Succulent Veld, Fynbos and Renosterveld. When you are not working exploring and outdoor activities are the obvious attraction with excellent cycling in the area. The area is safe with no crime been far away from any settlement, town is 20 km away and our nearest resident neighbour is 7km away. The place is very peaceful and quiet and volunteering here suits people who like the quiet life…When working we expect people to be safely attired, so that means with solid shoes, and in some cases gloves. We suggest the following to make your stay an enjoyable one…
- Sun hat
- Long cotton clothes to keep the sun off your body.
- If using sun cream it will have to be organic.
- Good walking shoes.
- Slip on sandals for operating around the homestead.
- Warm clothing for night time.
- Rain protection.
- Bedding. (Pillow, sheets, cover)
- Laptop if you want to access the internet (only emails, social media, and websites. No streaming or downloads allowed).
- Work Gloves
- Swimming gear
- We provide organic hair, bodywash, and toothpaste, any other toiletries will have to provided by yourself and be organic.
Want to Volunteer With Us?Contact us and we’ll send you all the relveant info
You can also call weekdays between 1pm-3pm (023 6143024)